I fucking LOVE “Dyosa” by Yumi.
I’ve been listening to it for weeks and I am still not tired of it.
It’s the S in my LSS, and I am very happy that it is.
In all honesty, I don’t know all the lyrics – but I know all the runs.
People at home love it, too: my four-year old daughter, who sings it in the comfort room; her yaya, who sings it while washing the dishes; the other yaya, who is so old it’s kinda weird and amazing she knows the song.
So many reasons why I LOVE the song, the music video, and the singer. Can I start my long list na?
1. Lyrics are amazing. Love the name-dropping (Venus Raj, Anne Curtis), the bakya words (olats, bano), the gay terms (chaka, havey, waley). They are tongue-in-cheek and – admit it – relatable.
2. It’s such a revenge song. You know, like “I Will Survive.” So it’s empowering. Empowering is always good.
3. The melody is amazing. It’s catchy and addicting. It’s an earworm. You know you’re in for a treat when you hear the verses, like things will definitely get better. The pre-chorus is such a nice link/build-up to the chorus. The pre-rap is so dreamy. The rap part is fun, especially the “dyosa” part – it reminds me of glitter and confetti and a magician transforming into something.
4. When the chorus was sung one octave higher. Ugh, no words.
5. The innate, unparalleled, world-class runs. The last few runs are even reminiscent of those that Regine Velasquez could effortlessly produce. And since I’ve brought the Songbird up, I would die for a Regine Velasquez version of “Dyosa.” The song just reminds me of “Urong Sulong.” Di ba???
6. It’s such a tight song. Each part transitions to the next quite smoothly, and each part is so lovable.
7. That woaaaaaaahhhhhhhh part.
8. That dyo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-sa part.
9. That ambisyo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-sa part.
10. This line: Anong ma-se-say / Havey na havey / Di na’ko waley / Hindi na’ko chaka face. #BestLyricsEver
11. The music video for “Dyosa” is colourful, hilarious, and entertaining. The stand up comedians are funny especially when they do back-up dancing. And that Matt Edwards is so hot. I’d do him for free.
12. She slays it live.